Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Nothing warms the soul like victory!

OK. Look, I'm gonna fess up and admit that the game I FINALLY won at Game Night was one I brought myself and that I honed my skills on said game ("Sharp Shooters"--really just dice--lots of dice--scary, mutant, nightmarish scads of dice--hundreds of little white dots embossed into the faces of those smug little red cubes. God may not play dice with the universe, but, by Dog and praise Jeebus, Dr. Kirby does! Hooowah!!) losing endless times to Mrs. Dr. Kirby who is, I hasten to add, something of a prodigy with dice games, particularly those not involving money (the Great Vegas Craps System has yet to emerge, but hope springs infernal). But I digress. Cold, cold, cold day and yet I left the GameDen feeling warm and snuggly, having actually bested the lads at...something.

Naturally, I was unsuccessful with either of the other games, but, by Gad, they were a gas! Would that travel around the real world ("Real World"--feh!--what a specious bit of myth THAT is!) was as easy as in the World Traveller game--a roll of the dice, the draw of a card, and the advancement of one's tiny li'l rocketship toward one's intended destination--I'd happily trade my aging jetpack and faulty Area 51 surplus teleportation tube for such easy travel!

And--"Apples to Apples"--this has to have been design by Dali. Brilliant, surreal comedramedy to be had from these brightly-hued pasteboards. Yes, "Chicken" was the universal answer--though I suspect "bacon" (the victual, not the actor) would have served as well. I feel I played my "Bruce Willis" card far to early in the game, and bowed, once again, to the Master of Games. "Hooowah," indeed.

Sure missed my buddy Zeus....

No comments: