Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Fortuna, nimium quem fovet, stultum facit

"Fortune, when she caresses a man too much, makes him a fool" Publilius Syrus

"We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?" Jean Cocteau

Many of our interweb friends ask me... OK. It's not unusual, in my work-a-day life, for it to be inquired of me... Alright, cards on the table. It is a puzzlement inside my own head as to how it is that month upon month I am winning at Game Night (the voices, oh, the voices, yes, but don't think that I don't know what some of you are thinking. I'm looking at you Dr. R.)
...

OK. Much easier to write now that the meds have kicked in. What I mean to say, boys and girls, is that we live in a material universe. Therefore, there is no such thing as luck. And, let me tell you, hard work is overrated as well. Not that I take any chances along those lines. And that is why, month in and month out, I stick to these lucky 7 simple rules,

board.n.room's Tips for Inexplicable Game Night Success:

1) Arrive first
2) Order the grilled cheese sandwich
3) Drink the bourbon and only the bourbon
4) Load the dice
5) Deal from the bottom
6) Keep your eye on the dialectic
7) Never cross a redhead

There you be. Don't say I never show my cards.

"The deepest thing in any one is the conviction of the bad luck that follows boasting." Gertrude Stein

No comments: